Besides the fact that this recipe tastes amazing, it is super easy to prepare. I wrote down 10 minutes of cooking time but in reality that’s just prep work time for arranging your ingredients, i.e. checking the dates and coring and peeling the apples. As long as you have a food processor you’ll be done in a snap. If you don’t have one, just make sure to finely chop everything, but keep in mind your preparation time will increase substantially.
Cooking time: 10 minutes active / 25 minutes inactive
2 cups of whole walnuts
1 cup pitted dates (Remove pits and make sure to open and check for bugs)
2 cups of washed, peeled, and cored apples (I like the “Red Delicious” variety)
1 cup of Manishevitz Concord Grape wine (substitute another sweet red if you don’t have it)
4 tablespoons of silan (date honey) (substitute honey)
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- Place walnuts in food processor and pulse until walnuts are chopped up very well. The goal is to keep things a bit chunky – so don’t finely ground the walnuts, but make sure you don’t leave any large pieces. Once you’re done, remove the walnuts and set aside in a large bowl.
- Place apples in food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Again the goal is small pieces, do not turn the apples into a puree. Remove the apple pieces once you’re done and add to the same large bowl as the chopped walnuts.
- Place date pieces in food processor and pulse until a paste forms. Add the date paste to the bowl with the apple and walnuts.
- Add the rest of your ingredients; the wine, silan and cinnamon to the bowl. Then using a spatula or spoon mix the ingredients together well.
- Let the mixture sit for about twenty minutes and then serve! If it’s still too chunky for your liking you can always put the mixture back in a food processor and pulse for a few seconds.