Okay so this recipe isn’t low carb, but it is still fairly healthy. More importantly it’s SUPER EASY. No really, I mean like ridiculously easy to make and your guests will love it. Totally delicious as a side dish for Shabbat dinner or a weekday meal.
If you’re on a low carb diet, either use small potatoes or substitute the potatoes for Jerusalem artichokes which are lower in carbs.
- 10-15 small golden potatoes, well washed (keep skins on)
- 4 tablespoons of za’atar spice mixture (aim for one that’s made with olive oil)
- 6 tablespoons of high quality olive oil
- 1 tablespoons of garlic salt
- Pam spray
- 4 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Place water in a small pot and heat until water is simmering. Gently lower in the potatoes and let cook for about 7-10 minutes until potatoes are slightly tender. Meaning not fully cooked but also not super hard. Remove potatoes from the water using tongs or a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Spray a flat baking sheet with Pam spray, then place the potatoes on top. Using either a sturdy spoon or potato masher lightly press down on the potato. The goal is to “smash” it but not to smithereens, you want to preserve the basic shape of the potato and not make it into a million pieces.
- Liberally pour the olive oil onto the potatoes coating them very well. Then sprinkle the za’atar, pepper, and garlic salt on top.
- Place tray in the oven and bake for 15-20 mins, or until potatoes are golden brown.